Thursday 7 March 2013

Lola's story 3 www.giftsforangels.co.uk

http://www.giftsforangels.co.ukI do apologise for the late blog post this week, but we have been experiencing Internet connection problems.
I left off last week ranting on a bit about the last GP visit which took place on Monday 20th March 2006. The rest of the day Lola slept a lot, and occasionally complained of a head ache, this was put down to the lack of fluids and dehydration. John got home from work that evening and carried Lola up to our bed to watch a "Pepper Pig" DVD, which she was thrilled about, but soon fell asleep. Lola remained in our bed that night and it must have been the early hours of the morning when she suddenly became full of life! Jumping around singing and making siren noises! I presumed she was better and now wide awake as she had had too much sleep. So, and I hate myself for this next bit - but I got very cross with her and insisted she go back to sleep because, Mummy was very tired still. John took her into the spare room, and although she was still demanding "Mummy" , he managed to get her to sleep eventually. I went happily back into a deep, deep slumber thinking that all was well with my world.
As he had such a late night John decided to stay off work the next day. Lola was on the sofa eating a boiled egg, (the first thing she had eaten in ages) Ava was crawling around on the floor in front of us. "Noddy" had just finished on cebeebies and I was doing an impression of "Policeman Plod", who for those of you that don't know he raises one arm in front of him and says in a very large booming voice, "STOP in the name of PLOD", Lola copied me still from her sofa position and it made me laugh. John and I looked at our little girls with total ore,
"How lucky we are to have such healthy, perfect children" he said and I couldn't have agreed more as I sat next to Lola and gave her a little squeeze. Within minutes her eyes looked glazed and fixed, and her tiny little hands had started to tremble, very gently. I called over to John,
"This looks like a fit," I said very calmly. John jumped up and said that we were going straight to the hospital he rushed up to get dressed while I stayed with Lola, who was not responding to me, her eyes still fixed on one point. John placed her in my arms in the car, where she closed her eyes and I held her tightly. I remember the car ride very clearly,I was calm and positive, she was fine it really wasn't anything major. I know that might sound mad to another Parent reading this, but I was always the optimist and still very much on the mindset of "It won't happen to me!"
We got to Worthing hospital, Lola was still asleep and John carried her in his arms while I carried Ava. We were seen immediately, they kept trying to wake her, but she did not respond, but when they were putting her on various machines and injecting her I could see her tense with pain, so she was awake just not fully. They asked me to have a go and I remember saying,
"Ooh look Lola, Fifi is here.... and Mummy's going to buy you the wiggles guitar, if you wake up now"... nothing, then John tried, he used a very different tactic.
"Now Lola, Daddy will get angry with you, come on now" he said in his angry voice, this caused more of a reaction than my approach, just like with the injections you could see her move a little in response but she still did not wake up fully. Every now and then instead of the gentle tremor she had at home, her body would tense up and slightly twist to one side. The hospital staff confirmed it was in fact a seizure but they still did not know what was causing it. At this point, my still positive, naive or maybe even stupid mind was calm... I even thought if its epilepsy, that's OK it wont hold her back, she won't be able to become a flight attendant!
"Flight attendant...." what the hell was I on?.... I am telling you the truth, you just never expect anything bad to happen to you, especially not your children! I had no great aspiration for my child to become a flight attendant and yet here she was lying in a hospital bed hooked up to every machine you could think off with Doctors, nurses rushing around her and I'm thinking about what career choice she may or my not have!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment